If you are thinking of enhancing your home with bi-fold doors, you may have countless questions regarding the installation process and the key benefits that a product such as this offers homeowners. With this in mind, here is a rundown of everything you have ever wanted to know about bi-fold doors.
What are the Benefits of a Bi-fold Door?
This type of design offers the ultimate in flexibility giving property owners the option to open up their room entirely or provide easy access to the garden via one door. Often these type of doors are used to bridge the gap between a house and a garden seamlessly.
Folding external doors boast a plethora of benefits from opening up a room to reveal its real potential is to allow an abundance of natural light to flow into your property. Here are just a few of the critical advantages that come with installing bi-fold doors.
- One of the most significant advantages when installing bi-fold doors is their ability to transform a property visually. They are aesthetically pleasing from every angle and add a contemporary touch to your home. Not only do they bring the natural beauty of the outside world in, they are also available in a range of designs and colours to complement properties of every style.
- Bi-fold doors are available in a range of materials that are sturdy yet slim. This ensures that not only can the frames withstand the elements and provide superior security, they are also lightweight and easy to manoeuvre. Durability and strength are guaranteed.
- As glass is the primary element in bi-fold doors, the design creates the illusion of space making the smallest of rooms seem roomier.
- Bi-folding doors don’t just look beautiful they are also built with maximum security in mind. Good quality ones from a reputable home improvements company will feature multiple locking systems, toughened energy efficient glazing and secure frames.
- The compact design ensures that even when the doors are open and stacked to one side, the panels take up very little of your valuable space and won’t obstruct your view.
- Folding patio doors are designed to offer a superb level of thermal efficiency so that when you invest in them, you can be sure that they are an energy efficient option.
- Bi-folding doors can be used internally to create a divide between two rooms in your home.
Slide and Swing Doors
Innovative slide and swing design that allows each door to be used independently at any point in the configuration.
This product stands out because of the versatility that it offers via its unique design. It provides all of the beauty of aluminium frames combined with the practical benefits of uPVC.
How Does a Bi-Fold Door Work?
When closed, a bi-fold door takes the form of one solid, secure wall of glass that can be opened fully to bring the outdoors in. Bi-fold doors are available in many configurations as you can choose how many leaves you have and how many you have on either side. Regardless of your preferred arrangement, the doors slide along a runner, and as you pull the handle, the leaves will fold in and concertina into place stacking one against the other.
Bi-fold doors fold in pairs and if you choose an uneven number of panels (known as leaves), you will be left with a panel left over that can be used as an independent door known as a ‘traffic door’. This provides a simple way to enter into the garden and gain access back into the house with minimum effort. If you choose bi-fold doors with an even number of panels, it is worth noting that you will not be able to take advantage of this feature.
How Secure are Bi-Fold Doors?
As a property owner, your primary concern when making home improvements to your home is security. Due to a large amount of glass featured in the design of bi-fold doors, it is natural to be concerned about the amount of protection these types of doors offer. However, the glass featured is tough to break, and with the option of no exterior handles, outside access is limited.
The structure of bi-fold doors itself is strong while the concealed innovative safety features such as multiple locks, hinges, shoot bolts and cylinders that are resistant to snapping, picking, drilling and bumping.
Why Choose Bi-Fold Doors?
Bi-fold doors allow homeowners to enjoy their outdoor space all year round. If you want to extend your interior space, folding patio doors are a stylish option. They are a highly sought-after addition to any property, and these designs can add value to your home making it instantly more desirable to property buyers. Not only this, bi-fold doors allow you to make the most of your garden and enjoy unparalleled views on those balmy summer days.
Bi-fold doors are fast becoming a firm favourite on every homeowner’s list of sought-after home improvements, and with so many advantages over standard patio doors, it’s no surprise why. Whatever your requirements, there is a bi-fold door design to meet your specific needs. From aluminium, timber and uPVC to choose from, you are sure to find an option that complements both your budget and personal style.
Are Bi-fold Doors right for you?
Whether you want to add value to your home or you just desire to make the most of your outdoor scenery with panoramic views, bi-fold doors are a superb way to add functionality and style to your home in an instant. Ideal for social occasions, they also add a practical touch when entertaining outdoors. For all of these reasons, bi-fold doors are a guaranteed to be a smart investment for you.